Tuesday, March 8, 2011

same kind of different as me.

today i met a man who changed my life without him even knowing it. of course it was the Lord who used his story to change my life. but it was still a huge blessing to meet him.

3 years ago i had back surgery. and my friends and family were so nice to bring me gifts like magazines, books, dvds to read/watch while i was hanging on the couch. steph west gave me same kind of different as me. and i didn't pick it up until about a month or two later when i was headed to london and paris. i finished that book in one night, bawling my eyes out in a paris hotel room. if you haven't read it yet, it's my number one recommendation.

i had found myself in a season of self-pity and confusion. (what's new?) my heart was so stirred in my affections for Jesus and stirred to action. not long after our trip i began serving at the stewpot and was able to go spend some time on skid row in LA. i quickly realized two things: the gospel is for all people and nations. not just trendy white kids in v-necks and toms who listen to indie music. and no matter where you go - beverly hills or south oak cliff - people are hateful, greedy, and hurting. and need the redeeming love of Jesus to transform their hearts.

today, ron hall, the author of same kind of different as me, walked into our flower shop for an appointment i had no idea about. he said his name and i flipped out. and then almost cried. and tried to quickly pull myself together. the author of my favorite book was standing right before me. and not just a book, but an incredible story. that actually happened. that began a chain reaction of events. that impacted my life in an incredible way.

i felt so affirmed today after i was able to talk to ron (mr. hall? ron hall? what do i call him? i feel like we're friends now). like the Lord was reminding me of my part in the kingdom. to serve the homeless. and really to just love people and make myself available.

i find it so difficult to put into words how my heart changed after reading that book. like, i just can't tell you how much that story means to me. and i can't help but think how good the Lord is. how truly perfect his timing is. and how great his love for us is. that a back surgery would result in a book that would lead to life change. our God truly is indescribable. i am so grateful.

1 comment:

  1. I just had to comment- I read that book last year and was deeply moved too (and crying uncontrollably in the end)! I cannot believe you got to meet Ron! How awesome!!

    ReplyDelete